Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oh yeah, hey America, what's up?


Two things happened today that brought my head out of the international cloud and back home. 

1. The inauguration of Barack Obama. 
In spite of the fact that this day has been all over the news, internet, and mouths of CU students, I almost forgot today was the day until I walked in the UMC on campus and saw the enormous screens set up for the viewing pleasure of those not in class. I entered just in time to blush at Barack stumbling over the chief justice's words as he was sworn in. I watched his whole speech with tears welling in my eyes. I was uplifted by his words. For the first time in a long time, I actually felt hopeful. Obviously hope has been at the crux of his campaign, but in all honesty, it felt pretty empty until today. Lately, I've been pretty concerned about the rise and fall of empires, and America certainly appears to be on its way downhill. But Barack truly helped me find some faith in the perseverance and strength of America. When I saw a woman in the crowd, who was not an American citizen say as she looked out into the audience of all colors, creeds, and classes coming together, "I'm jealous of America. No other country in the world would be able to do this." One thing that really struck a chord with me was one simple word Barack used: "imagination." 

When it comes to all the trouble we are currently facing, I now I just can't wait to see what we all come up with. 

2. Laura and Brent were accepted into Teach for America. 

The two teammates I work with on recruitment for Teach for America were just accepted into the corps. Being a Campus Campaign Coordinator (our job title) does not give you much of an edge over the other amazing candidates that apply for TFA. Laura and Brent are both such amazing human beings, that the thought of the highly selective organization overlooking them was heartbreaking. But I'm so pleased to find out that my fears were in vain. By next year, I will have four friends working in the Corps: Jessa (English in Memphis), Darren (physics in Atlanta), Laura (art in the Delta) and Brent (special ed in Louisiana). I am so touched by their service and again, so hopeful for change to the inequity in our national public education system. With folks like this fighting in the "trenches," I do know reform can and will happen. I am just so EXCITED for these guys to be a part of it. Here is a clip from Oprah that shows the problem in public schools that I am talking about, and committed to fighting. 


A part of me feels like I'm abandoning some heavy issues at home that I could be fighting (especially by throwing all my dollars at another nation's economy...), but I know that I will gain a valuable perspective abroad that will help me to be a strong citizen of the US. 


No comments: