Friday, March 6, 2009

Pops is in BA

It's been a few days since Dad arrived here in the city, and I think he is enamored. 
Ines has been an absolute dream by giving up the other extra room for him to sleep in. She a made bomb carne dinner and has been embracing the wine and music each night.  At first it was really fun for me because I had to translate between Ines and Dad. But because she has decent English, after getting accustomed to his accent, they were able to communicate just fine. Ultimately, that's better, of course, but I sure did enjoy the translating. It forced me to pay more attention to the content of Ines' spanish, since its easy to zone out with so much foreign language being thrown at you. It also gave me more practice in speaking because I needed to formulate my Dad's ideas and humor into coherent spanish thoughts. It was fun. 

The first day here, I had to do a full day of activities with the program, so I had to hand Dad a map and point toward Recoleta. He got to see a lot of the city on his walk, visited the famous cemetery, ate a steak meal at a Restaurant called "Clark's," and took lots of photos of the old F0rd trucks that buzz around the neighborhood. Dad and Ines found a cheap guitar (USD 85) and Dad caused quite a stir in the music shop with all of his old American rock songs. Argentinos LOVE rock music. We visited Palermo yesterday for a fancy lunch and a look at the higher end barrio, and today we'll go to Boca to see that colorful neighborhood you see in all those photos of Buenos Aires. 

Classes begin next week (wait, I'm here to study??) and things are getting real! 

1 comment:

amy roldan said...

woohoo.!!
thats so cool im excited for you..
schools not that great tho..lol