Monday, May 18, 2009

Romanticized

It's amazing how media distorts or at least affects the way I view Buenos Aires. When I watch film of the city or see photography or hear tango music, I feel a bit more connected with it than when I'm living my daily life here IN the city. That's kind of absurd.  But all the stress and chaos seem so tranquil when it's through an artistic lens. 


National Geographic does a cool online publication called "Glimpse." 

Mission:
 To encourage you to care about other cultures, change the way you think about the overseas experience, andchallenge you to explore real life abroad

Study Abroad students, expats, an other young people who spend an extended period of time in a foreign country take pictures, video, and write, write, write about their experiences. I considered applying to be a contributor but I had such a weak portfolio of photos I'd taken and pieces of writing to share that I couldn't really get my act together in time. 

I was perusing the most recent edition of the newsletter and the front page had a link to a correspondent in Buenos Aires. Naturally, I peeked through her writing and photos and I really enjoyed it. I had sort of nostalgic feelings for Bs As in spite of the fact that I'm in the midst of it. 

But, I realized something weird about photography in this moment. This woman had a great way of conveying daily images of the city and making them appear so raw. Yet all great photos I see always have an element of glamour to them, even if there is nothing glamorous about the ideas they convey. 
 

I look at them and think, ooh what a cool city I'm in. Even though many days I really struggle with appreciating it. The thing is, I'm not a city person. But I love the idea of being one. I love the idea of cosmopolitanism and strutting through city streets and all the images that "the Paris of Latin America" elicits. I love reading through BA fashion blogs and recognizing the locations and thinking of Buenos Aires as a big culture hub. 
But maybe it's a function of living in the least glamourous barrio in Buenos Aires or maybe it's the fact that I'm coming face to face with big city authenticity. Authentic Buenos Aires means grit. There's piles of trash, poor people begging for change with dirty children on their laps, sweaty old people on the subte, polluted air, etc, etc, etc. That's what sticks with me every day. Sure, I can flip through pages of articles on Peronism  at the Rosedal or sip espresso at the Tea Connection  and feel super fancy again. But unfortunately, when I think of Buenos Aires, I think of the grime.  

Today I had a lunch with a fellow American from who grew up in the West and has a grand appreciation for the outdoors. He studied abroad last semester in Buenos Aires and did not enjoy the experience. He left the program before it was over and moved to the coast where he worked as a bartender and surfed every day. He will still manage to get credit for most of his classes and leaving the city was the best thing he did for his Spanish and for his sanity. 

I find that idea fascinating. I don't intend to do anything like that, at least not at this juncture. But the problem with studying abroad is that you have to focus a bunch of time to school (woah, really?). And the truth is your language skills are going to improve way more outside of the classroom than reading a bunch of esoteric economic policy articles. You are also tempted to spend a great deal of time with Americans...who speak the language just as badly as you do. You have obligations and rules and structures that don't permit the most authentic of experiences. Also, most solid universities are in big cities and big cities have a culture that doesn't necessarily represent the country, especially Buenos Aires. The Porteño culture is very European. In my mind it's almost comically so. Going outside of the city is almost like going to the real continent, culturally--of which I don't actually have a lot of experience. I've been in more touristy situations. It's difficult to get away from that. 
But in reality, I do like my program and I think they do a good job of facing these issues. Someday thought, I would like to just up and leave and create a life that truly does lend itself to real and natural immersion. It's scary, but I think I would benefit a lot from it. 

Maybe I'll go to Spain where I can earn some euros!! 

But to be fair, I have had enough struggles in spite of the fact that I've got a really big support network...so I guess I have to keep in mind that it's just one step at a time...

No comments: