Saturday, February 14, 2009

Safe!

Took a very smooth flight from DC to BA, where most of the passengers were elderly folks getting prepared for a cruise to Antarctica! I befriended an 80-something year old Catholic bishop from North Dakota who wouldn't stop buying me treats in the terminal. He was a good friend. Hope you have fun on that cruise, Father Schneider, where ever you may be...

Landed and hopped aboard a shuttle to the city center, checked into a very youthful urban hostel. I'm in a dorm room with 5 other girls. It feels like one giant slumber party. A little wild, don't think I'll reserve my Dad a room here for when he gets to the city...
There's a rooftop bar and terrace with a small swimming pool, free wifi, included breakfast, and towels, and all that jazz. 

Spent the day wandering around the neighborhood, saw some cool buildings and enjoyed the hot weather. My new friend Ryan and I watched Boca Juniors lose to Newall on the big screen at Locos por el Fútbol, a restaurant near the Recoleta cemetery. We ate burgers and drank Quilmes--the national beer of Argentina, which pretty much is an equal to something like Coors Light...but it was nice on a hot day! 

My spanish is SUBPAR, to say the least. I really struggled having any conversations with waiters and such. I think once I get away from all these Americans and find a language partner or something, it might be easier. But today was a little discouraging. I felt like I was still in Italy...that's how little I understood the accent and content. 

I dig Buenos Aires. Though I feel like I've barely made a dent on what there is to see and do in the city. Woo-wee, this is going to be an exciting semester!

1 comment:

whatifyourfingerswerealive said...

ahh the place youre staying at sounds soo nice!! pool..free breakfast...im jealous!
i dont think i could live with 5 girls..this may be your greatest challenge yet..:)
im sure youll pick up the spanish really fast!..

anyway ill be reading :)

Mariya