Friday, March 27, 2009

Hazards, yo.

I'm sheltered. No denying it. With virtually my entire life spent in Boulder...most of what I know about the world I have read, and that doesn't really mean very much. 

So, the freaky things that happen in BA probably aren't all that freaky for people in the rest of the world. Only for sheltered Boulder kids. 

Example. 
The subte at rush hour makes me want to die. I don't like having other people ALL up in my grill like that, and then Javi showed me a video of the subway rush hour in Caracas, Venezuela. 
People LITERALLY could have died trying to get on and off that train, I swear. There were probably twice as many people on the sidewalk waiting to enter than could physically fit on the entire train. The people trying to get out were TRAMPLED by those trying to get in.  I felt silly for getting so perturbed by the BA subte. Oh boohoo somebody is elbowing me. 

Also. 
Traffic here? I would never, ever, ever ride a bike here. (Much less drive..but that's because I don't drive haha). If I had come straight from Boulder and not seen Roman or Neapolitan traffic first, I might be scared to cross the street. Not a lot of attention is paid to lane lines, light changes, pedestrian walks, etc. But, it's NOTHING compared to Italian cities, so it makes me realize that in other parts of the world, it's probably a bazillion times worse. I remember Chris telling me about riding his bike around Rabat, Morocco and at the time I didn't really appreciate what that might look like, but now having spent some time in big cities, I'm glad I didn't know or I would have been worried sick! I bet compared to some of these "developing" parts of the world, Buenos Aires might as well be suburbia. 

And.
We have to unlock the front door to get out of the house. Not only to get in, but to get out. I didn't realize how much of a fire hazard this was until Dad pointed it out. If I am at a friend's house, and he leaves the keys somewhere in the apartment, and the kitchen catches on fire, and I can't find them, I physically won't be able to get out. We have to keep our eyes on those keys. 

And. 
I am convinced that the reason I keep getting sick is because of the pollution. It could be due to the kitten eating cockroaches and then licking my face, but I am pretty certain its the air. Apparently ever visitor from Boulder has independently delivered this same hypothesis to Javi and he thinks we're all lunatics, but I think we just know air quality! Anyway, it's getting to me, and I am really looking forward to some trips out of the city. Argentina has SO much to offer, and I need to jump on it. Pronto

Oh and also.
A couple people have been mugged so far. Some in a threatening, late night kind of a way, and some just getting pick-pocketed on buses. I've been lucky/careful. People don't really mess with me because I'm bigger (I haven't met many men with a lot of height on me) and angry looking when I walk around. We try to be unappealing women so gross men don't have any interest. I've also learned that if you are somewhat cavalier with your purse, people will think you don't have anything. If you clutch it, obviously you have something of value. In Italy, I had my Mom's travel wallet hanging across my body under all my clothes. Here, I would feel ridiculous doing that. People get mugged in all cities, but I don't feel a constant threat here. One drunk American film student I met was running around the streets with a big, expensive camera, taking artsy pictures of everything and actually being pretty reckless (running into traffic to get pictures of lights, climbing on top of parked delivery trucks, wearing minimal clothing). John and Javi looked at her in disbelief. "If this was Caracas," Javi told me, "You wouldn't have that camera out for one second before somebody came up to you and said, 'Give me that.' And you'd have to." Nothing happened to that girl. Except maybe a headache in the morning..

But.
I did see the most violent thing I've ever witnessed in my entire life outside my door a couple weeks ago. It appeared to be a young gang and a one sole victim. I've seen that kind of stuff in the movies, but never, ever at such a close proximity. I was sitting in a taxi, yards away. The driver wouldn't let me out until the commotion had settled, thank god. I won't go into details, but it was Gruesome (notice the capital G). I think the Taxi driver seemed to think it was racial. That the victim was Peruvian or indigenous or something. Now I refuse to walk alone at night, even down Corrientes, a busy, well-lit, family friendly avenue. Our new Spanish roommate looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I was going to the movie theater via subway instead of just walking. Ines reminded her that I'm only 19--a baby, really. 
Hmm. Well, maybe I'm a scaredy-cat, but I would prefer not to earn street cred by witnessing any more gang violence. Just not a priority for this trip. 

I shared this story with Americans and they were stunned. I shared it with Latin Americans and they practically patted me on the head. Their expressions half-heartedly said, "mmm, sorry you had to see that." Some responses were stories of incidents MUCH worse witnessed on the streets of other South American cities, and I just thought to myself, "the most threatened I've ever felt in Boulder is when a fox crossed the street in front of me." 

Horrible things happen in the world, and BA has its share of ugliness. But, it's so far from the worst of what's going on out there...But, I just don't really have a lot perspective. 
Some days I think, I'm am going to die in this city!! Seriously, I will!! But, I am a little Boulder bubble baby also...with much to learn about this big world.  

Suerte,
c

1 comment:

Rob Clark said...

While you'll see more frequent violence in big cities, I'm not sure Paul Kelly or Susannah Chase would agree Boulder is necessarily a bubble, with respect to violence. A degree of sensible caution is appropriate anywhere - even Boulder. Keep in mind, even with as few as two, there is safety in numbers!

There is much to learn from the animal kingdom. The cat that engages his world with fearlessness will certainly learn faster and will probably discover more, but the cat that sits in the window and learns his world before he engages it will probably live longer.